Hello everyone! I have once again had the privilege of spending 5 months at ABCs and Rice in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I really enjoy my time there and keep busy by reading stories to the children, helping out with administrative tasks in the office, and organizing rice days. Each task that I undertake is very enjoyable and rewarding, knowing that in my own small way I am making a difference in a child’s life.
The pictures show:
· ABCs morning dance
· The donated bikes - 43 students at ABCs and Rice were gifted new bikes from the Eyes Open Foundation and delivered to the school by the Ponheary Ly Foundation. These bikes were given to the students who live the greatest distance from the school allowing them easier access to the school.
· The morning assembly
· Lunch time
· The next two pictures show the students demonstrating the ABCs and Rice motto: "I know I can be what I want to be. If I work hard, I'll be where I want to be."
· The food bank - A group from Belgium sponsored the construction of a new building on the school property to house a food bank for the neediest families of the surrounding villages.
· The concert - January saw a huge celebration for the 10th birthday of ABCs and Rice. A music teacher and his assistant came from Australia and volunteered their time for 6 weeks to teach the children songs and dances for a beautiful concert that was put on at the end of the month. It was a huge success; former volunteers came from around the world solely to be part of the celebration. The concert was thoroughly enjoyed by all who attended and especially by the children who just love to perform.
As you can see, people from all over the world are involved in supporting ABCs and Rice. The school has truly become a global community. If you wish to be involved in any way please contact Iris Paruch at 250-385-8228 or by e-mail.
If you wish to make a donation you may do this in several ways:
· Online through Canada Helps
· By cheque payable to ABCs and Rice, which you may leave at the church office or call Iris at 250-385-8228 for pick up.
· Some people have expressed interest in making a monthly donation. This may be done through Canada Helps on the ABCs and Rice page Scroll down to donate to this charity, choose donate monthly, choose amount, apply donation, choose general core programs. In the message box put ‘Rice for a Year Project‘
On behalf of all the children, Tammy (the founder) and myself, a sincere thank you to all the members of St. Luke’s for your continuing support.
Please save the date for this year’s Rice for a Year Fundraising Tea and Silent Auction which will be held on Saturday, September 14th from 2 – 4 pm. Come and enjoy afternoon tea with scones and beautiful music. For more information, visit the Rice for a Tea Fundraising Tea Event page.