St. Luke's Financial Outreach Committee
The committee meets several times throughout the year and reports to Parish Council. The committee generally supports local charities, but also makes some donations directly to the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, the official relief and development agency of the Anglican Church of Canada, for disaster relief as needed.
Another international project, which St. Luke's supports, is the Rice for a Year Program through ABCs and Rice in Siem Reap, Cambodia. See News stories below for more information.
St. Luke's received many touching expressions of thanks for all of these contributions.The Financial Outreach Committee would like to thank our parishioners who have been truly compassionate and generous in their donations.
Outreach in 2020
The year started with a collection of items and monetary donations for Project Connect. See list below and the News Post at this link about donations to Project Connect which were collected this year.
We have also collected monetary donations for the Shelbourne Community Kitchen.
Outreach in 2019
St. Luke’s Financial Outreach Committee distributed cheques to a variety of charities:
- St. Luke's Women's Fellowship: $300 for their work to assist Transition House families.
- Anglican Campus Ministry: $600 in support their work at UVic.
- Greater Victoria Performing Arts Festival: Sacred Music Awards
- The Sisters of St. John the Divine: In support of their ongoing ministry
- Shelbourne Community Kitchen: $3,000. Each week parishioners also donate food for their pantry program.
- World of Gifts Project (Primate's World Relief and Development Fund): $720 to buy goats for families in Africa. Loonies, toonies, and bills were dropped in a Christmas stocking hung at the back of the church through Advent to Christmas Day.
- South Island Centre for Counselling and Training: Rent reduction for the use of the rectory (approx. $11,000 per year). This is part of our mandate to serve our local community.
In 2019, parishioners contributed an additional $1,137 directly to the PWRDF.