Youth Ministry Leader Job Description
St. Philip Church is a Christ-centred church community, part of the Anglican Church of Canada. We are an inclusive, welcoming and vibrant congregation, meeting for worship twice on Sundays and at various other times on special occasions and holidays. We are well engaged in local community outreach and in local and global community missions.
At St. Philip, we are looking for an enthusiastic and engaging individual to lead in ministry to the spiritual and social needs of as many as fifteen 12-16-year-old young people. The Youth Ministry Leader will be an integral part of the church leadership team. accountable to, and in regular communication with, the St. Philip Rector and Wardens.
The Youth Ministry Leader will be responsible for administering programming and communication with stakeholders:
a) Weekly: Preparing and leading Sunday morning worship, teaching and discussion.Reasonable accommodation can be discussed for extraordinary circumstances (such as pandemic restrictions).
b) Bi-weekly: Planning and leading age-appropriate social engagements, which may be held at various venues.
c) Annually or semi-annually: Organise and lead weekend retreats, which may be held in various venues.
d) Occasionally: Organise and facilitate youth participation in corporate worship, special events and local community service opportunities.
e) Other duties that may arise, depending upon the direction youth ministry takes.
f) Regular communication with parents (frequent e-mails and less frequent meetings).
g) Regular communication with St. Philip leadership team; attending weekly staff meetings is ideal.
In exchange for providing this leadership to our youth, the monthly compensation for this contract position will be $1,200. Additional compensation will be considered on an ad hoc basis if needs arise.
1. We believe the most important qualification is a passion for Jesus Christ, expressed as a heart for young people and a passion for youth ministry. The successful candidate need not have an Anglican church background.
2. The ideal candidate for this position will be mature, with a personal faith that is inclusive, thoughtful, non-dogmatic and non-judgmental.
3. Completion of a criminal record check.
4. Meeting the Anglican Diocesan Safe Church program requirements, including completing any training required.
5. Given the potential for diverse interactions within the church community, which contains vulnerable individuals, full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
6. Experience in youth ministry would be an asset.
7. Demonstrable competence in playing a musical instrument would be a welcome asset.
The Youth Ministry Leader is welcome and encouraged to participate in all other aspects of St. Philip community life; this position is ideal for someone looking to integrate into a local church community.
The position start date is the beginning of September 2022.
Interested individuals can apply by June 17, 2022.
If you feel called to lead in this vital and rewarding St. Philip ministry, then kindly e-mail your application or any questions to Larry Anthony ( lanthony[at]stphilipvictoria.ca ).
Include as attachments your updated résumé, together with a cover letter that outlines your vision for this ministry and explains why you feel this opportunity is a good fit for you.